The primary goal of this study is to learn about the impact of TK on students. The study’s central research questions are:
- Does TK participation improve kindergarten readiness in the domains of early literacy/language, mathematics, and social emotional skills?
- To what extent are the impacts of TK sustained through the end of kindergarten?
- Does the impact of TK change across cohorts?
- How do student outcomes vary by child background characteristics, such as gender, English learner status, or poverty status?
The TK study also aims to understand how the quality of TK is related to student outcomes.
- How do TK programs fare on measures of classroom quality?
- How does TK quality change across cohorts?
- How do student outcomes vary with TK classroom quality?
- How do student outcomes vary by program structure, such as stand-alone versus combination classrooms?
In the future, with additional funding, the study could also examine the longer term impacts of TK. Specifically, we would like to understand:
- Are the impacts of TK sustained through the early elementary school years?