Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
Providing technical and methodological guidance, a Technical Advisory Group (TAG) of experts in a range of fields, including early education (preK–grade 3), school readiness, assessment, and outcome evaluation will serve as consultants to AIR throughout the study. Members of the TAG include:
- Dr. Margaret Burchinal, Senior Scientist at the Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute and an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Education at the University of California, Irvine.
- Dr. Megan Franke, Professor and Chair of the Education Department in the Graduate School of Education at the University California, Los Angeles.
- Dr. Tim Shanahan, Chair and Professor, Department of Curriculum and Instruction at University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Dr. Ross Thompson, Distinguished Professor of Psychology, University of California, Davis.
- Dr. Eugene Garcia, Professor Emeritus, University of California, Berkeley and Arizona State University
To ensure that multiple perspectives are considered as the study is developed and conducted, the study team convened a Stakeholder Group in 2012 to provide input on the study approach and to contribute to the identification of critical issues to explore. This group includes a wide range of organizations and associations invested in transitional kindergarten in California and members will share their perspectives on TK, their experiences with implementation, and their suggestions for ensuring smooth data collection while minimizing burden on district and school staff. The study team will continue to reach out to other stakeholders throughout this second phase of the study.